CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tuesday Musings #11

Growing up what extra curricular activities did you get to try? Which activity was your favorite and which was your least favorite? If you didn't have an opportunity which do you wish you could of tried?

Hmmm, I went to ballet class for a year or so and took piano lessons for a little bit longer. I don't think I showed much talent in either direction, or maybe it was a lack of practice. Anyway, I don't know why I stopped.

When I was in junior high school , my math teacher invited me to join the math team, which I did. We would compete with two other schools about once a month and we ALWAYS took the bronze. It was fun anyway; the main draw was the ice cream bars they gave us at the end of each meet.

The summer before high school, I went with my sister as moral support to a children's community theater audition and ended up landing the main male lead - the villain. I think mostly because I had watched Rex Harrison in "My Fair Lady" the night before and was channeling him as I read the part. All the theater's regular teenage boys were annoyed that I had cut them out. I had a blast doing my first and last gig as an actor (except for roadshows which entailed more giggling than acting). Later in life, I did go and audition at an adult community theater with a friend from church. She and I were both surprised at just how adult it was when the guy playing the the opposite part, kissed each of us rather actively during the reading. We had gone in separately and had no time between being called for the first one of us to warn the second. We were both really grossed out by the whole experience and didn't get parts in the play. Maybe it was the look of revulsion we each gave the casting director.

When I went to high school, I had a one and a half to two hour commute, so after school activities weren't really an option. When I was a freshman, I did ask whether there was a math team, probably hoping for more ice cream. I ended up joining even without frozen confectionery bribery. I really enjoyed it and I was the best person on the team, even doing better than the boys in higher grades than I was. Of course, this was an art school; maybe the mathematicians weren't those with the highest ability.

Speaking of art, even though it was a curricular activity in my case, it felt extracurricular because it was so much fun. I applied for and went to an art high school in New York City. It was fun to go to school with crazy, artsy types. Here's a picture of me during one of my classes.

2 comments:

Emily said...

That is a really long commute to school. You must of got up really early to head off to school.

AES said...

When I was a freshman, I would sometimes be in such a hurry in the morning I would literally get out of the shower, throw on my clothes and leave the house. My hair would be dripping wet and uncombed. I got some really weird looks in January when I'd get on the train with my hair a matted mess with the ends freezing in the NY winter. Then I'd go into the bathroom on the ferry, comb it out, French braid it, put on some makeup and be ready to face the day, an hour after I'd left the house. It is a wonder I didn't die from pneumonia!